You must arrange your life around activities that will allow you to eventually do what you cannot do now (even with great willpower).
Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. (1 Cor 9:26)
... many people, when they hear about spiritual growth, think they must simply try harder to be like Jesus.
Signs that I have succeeded include:
- I brought God's love and grace to bear in a difficult situation.
- I clothed myself in compassion, kindness, and patience.
- I acted with humility instead of self-promotion.
- I extended forgiveness or brought Christ's spirit of peace and reconciliation.
- I confronted a situation when avoidance would be easier.
Signs that I need correction include:
- I directly disobeyed God.
- I neglected to do all that I lovingly could in a situation.
- I spoke careless words.
- I withheld love.
- I am spiritually timid.
- I have a critical spirit.
- I acted in self-promotion.
- I acted with lust.
- I acted with greed.
- I am arrogant.